Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT)
Installed 09 Oct 2005. Latest update 15 Sep 2014.
Absolute Ethanol extract (BV)
Methanol extract (BV)
Aqueous extract (BV)
(%)(Mean, +/- SD)
27.26 +/- 1.07
16.80 +/- 0.23
6.53 +/- 0.29
20.29 +/- 0.23
6.68 +/- 0.25
The TBA test is a colorimetric technique in which the absorbance of a red chromogen formed between thiobarbituric acid and malondialdehyde is measured.
According to G. Hocman (7), the acceptable daily intake of BHA [and BHT] is at present considered to be 0.6 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. He says, "In spite of their possible tumor-promoting properties they could not be considered overtly toxic. Their pronounced chemoprotective role against some forms of chemical carcinogenesis deserves considerable attention."
Hocman's acceptable daily intake equates to 27 milligrams per 100 pounds of body weight. Crystaline BHT is soluble in animal fat and alcohol (but poorly in water). It is also caustic to body tissues. With these facts in mind, oral injestion of BHT should be done in conjunction with eating a meal containing a fair amount of animal fat. (BHT with a dose of medicinal alcohol might work as well, but perhaps not on an empty stomach).
(2) Production of Natural Butylated Hydroxytoluene as an Antixodant by Fresh Water Phytoplankton - Bakthavachalam Babu and Jiunn-Tzong Wu, J. Phycol., 44, 1447-1454, (2008). [Thanks to Wikipedia.] [New Link 18 May 2013.]
(3) Methyl Group Wikipedia
(4) Manura, John J., "Detection and Identification Of Volatile and Semi-Volatile Organics In Synthetic Polymers Used In Food and Pharmaceutical Packaging," 1994 ASMS Meeting, Chicago, IL., SISWEB.COM Application Note 21-a
(5) Manura, John J., LC/GC, Vol II, No. 2 (2/93) pp. 140-146.
(6) Parichehr Hanachi, Golkho SH, "Using HPLC to Determine the Composition and Antioxidant Activity of Berberis Vulgaris," European Journal of Scientific Research, ISSN 1450-216X, Vol 29, No. 1, pp 47-54. [Abstract]
(7) Hocman G., Chemoprevention of cancer: phenolic antioxidants (BHT, BHA), Int J Biochem, 1988;20(7):639-51. [Abstract]
BHT Preserves Gasoline in Cars [New Link 19 Oct 2013.]
Mass spectra of some miscellaneous artifacts and additives The Lipid Library (Has a mass spectrum for BHT.)
Quantitative determination of BHT in soap products by capillary gas chromatography - M. M. Goldstein, K. Molever and W. P. Lok
BHT's Use as an Antiviral - Herpes, Influenza, HIV?, Newcastle Disease
BHT - Advanced Health & Life Extension website
BHT - Chemical Safety Cards (ICSC):0841 (BHT is combustible!)